If you find this site of value or interest, please
click +1 button above.
House Inn is a registered Texas State Historic Landmark located in
the Government Hill Historic District, the Bullis House was built
between 1906 - 1909 by noted architect Harvey Page for General John
Lapham Bullis and his family. More concerned with creature comforts
when he retired, the general had oak paneling, parquet floors, crystal
chandeliers, and marble fireplaces installed in his home.
General Bullis, a New
York native, came to Texas in 1865 after four years of service in
Army during the American Civil War. He became famous, however, while
hostile Indians on the
Texas frontier from 1867 - 1882 and was instrumental in the capture
of Apache Chief Geronimo.
Constructed in 1870,
the Quadrangle, with its impressive clock tower, was originally
built as a supply depot. In 1886, it served as prison grounds for
Apache Chief Geronimo and his warriors.
Much to the delight of children and adults alike, the Quadrangle now
houses flocks of deer, rabbits, chickens, geese and ducks, which
have occupied the grounds for over 100 years. The animals are tame
enough to hand-feed and occasionally pet.
There is a legend that the Indian chief's
spirit roams within the mansion. In later years General Bullis saw
service in Cuba and the Philippines, and later retired to his
beloved San Antonio.
In 1983, the Bullis
House was purchased by the Cross family for use as a bed & breakfast